Monday, May 24, 2010

What are my chances of getting a high paying job if i double major in math and computer science?

What kind of jobs would be open to me once I graduate and how hard would it be to land a well paying entry level job in this field? How should I prepare while in school? (I am currently a sophomore)

What are my chances of getting a high paying job if i double major in math and computer science?
Usually when you start out after graduation you don't always end up with a big paying job but with a math major and computer science major it can help you get a decent paying job and you can work your way up. A friend of mine just graduated with that double major and now she works on Wallop's Island for NASA. She got her foot in the door by doing an internship for them. There are many research labs that are starting to focus on computer simulation as well so something in the sciences could probably be an option as well. I'm a math major and do a lot of mathematical modeling; particularly in biology. Right now I'm working on an undergrad thesis on math modeling of cancer treatment. There are all sorts of applications for math and that is just one that I know from my own work and experience. I think there are some good job opportunities out there for you. It's just a matter of looking and finding them. Sometimes talking to your professors can help you since they know some people in the field. You could even ask those people questions to get a better idea of what you can do in the future.
Reply:Both fields can provide very lucrative career prospects. Be careful when working on a double major. You can get overloaded with homework and become overwhelmed. Your best bet is to get on fortune.com and look at the top paying jobs. If you find one that interests you, then look at the market for that position in your area to see what kinds of jobs are available and what the starting salary is. You should always research before going to college. There are too many people with college degrees that are unemployed or not working in their degree field.


No comments:

Post a Comment