Monday, May 24, 2010

What do people do with a masters degree in Computer Science?

I'm concerned that I might not be able to find a decent job when I get out of my 4 year program, so I'm considering graduate school as an option.





Do people with this degree do work outside of academic research or teaching?

What do people do with a masters degree in Computer Science?
The previous answer is a joke. I have both my bachelors and masters degrees in Computer Science, and work as a software engineer for a major defense contractor. I'm well on my way towards working my way into a software architecture/systems engineering position, and my job prospects look only better and better over the next 10-15 years. If you can find a job that will pay for you to get your masters part-time, that's ideal. But either way, getting the masters pays.
Reply:I've known at least two people, with "computer Science" degrees that actually have a job, in the "outside world" (outside of academia, I mean). These people had jobs, within the Admin section of organizations, working with the computers and instructing the personnel. They acquired new software, performed updates, did troubleshooting, etc, etc. And that was just a few of the things that they did. If you don't want to work for individual organizations, try to get on at a University (or another type of school - trade, grammer, College, etc.) as an instructor within their "Computer Science" department - huh??? You will have the credentials to do just about anything within that field, including repairs and programming!!!! Sounds interesting - - - - -

flower bouquet

No comments:

Post a Comment